Job Title: Technical Artist
Type: Full time
Who We Are: Disbelief is a game development studio focusing on contracting and consulting services. We’ve worked with both AAA and independent studios to help their projects ship. Notable projects we’ve worked on include Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, Minecraft, Borderlands 3, Gears Tactics, Gears 5, and Pacific Drive.
At Disbelief we value work-life balance, and want to create an alternative to the crunch-culture prevalent in game development. We also believe strongly in investing in our talent and our team. Disbelief is a place to puzzle out the solutions to cutting-edge problems for industry leading projects, but also a place where people can grow their careers and skills as valued members of a stable and close-knit team.
Description: Currently, we’re looking for a Technical Artist. This opportunity is for a full-time position in Chicago, IL. Technical Artists at Disbelief are self motivated problem solvers. Our technical artists are equally capable of discussing performance, rendering and gameplay issues with engineers, as they are in critique and creative discussion with the artist and designers. They act as a bridge between the technical and artistic aspects of game development, empowering both programming and art to achieve more than either could on their own. Our Technical Artists work in a variety of areas including scripting for tools and gameplay, modeling, materials, texturing, animation, FX, UI, and writing documentation.
At Disbelief we work with leading edge technologies to make them perform at the top of their capabilities, and we take pride in solving problems others can’t. We believe a diverse team is a stronger team, and we encourage marginalized candidates to apply.
- Solve technical problems from an artist’s point of view
- Solve performance problems while championing visual quality standards
- Act as a bridge between art, engineering and gameplay teams
- Continue to explore new software and techniques, including novel solutions
- Prototype new workflows and systems
- Make improvements to existing pipelines as part of a team
- Clearly communicate your work to others
- Estimate the time it takes to complete tasks
Skills and Requirements
- Degree in Tech Art or equivalent experience
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- 1+ years in game development, or 3+ in a related industry
- Understanding of real time rendering
- Experience with version control with Perforce, Git, or equivalent
- Portfolio demonstrating
- AAA quality technical art ability
- Gameplay or pipeline scripting
- Proficiency in cross disciplinary tasks
Location: Chicago, IL
Relocation Assistance: Available where applicable
Remote: Hybrid. Technical Artists are in the office based on project needs, but can sometimes work from home. Some of our projects require access to physical infrastructure.
Visa Sponsorship: No. Disbelief does not offer visa sponsorship at the current time.
We are an E-Verify employer.
Contact: Please submit resume and portfolio to email@example.com